Skip to Main Content

Proof of ID & document certification

We're required by law to obtain certified proof of your identity when you:

  • apply for a pension
  • apply to withdraw super
  • make an insurance claim.

We may also need proof of identity before we can update certain personal details. To provide your proof of identity, photocopy your passport or current Australian driver's licence and have the copy certified.

How to get your documents certified

Most chemists, post offices and police stations have someone who is authorised to certify documents.

The Proof of identity fact sheet contains useful information about the process, including a full list of people who can certify documents for you.

The authorised person needs to:

  • see the original and the copy of the document
  • check that they’re identical
  • certify that they are true copies by writing or stamping 'certified true copy' followed by their signature, name, address, qualification (eg Justice of the Peace), registration number (if applicable) and date.

If you have any questions, call us on 1800 222 071 between 8am and 8pm (AEST/AEDT) weekdays.

Fact sheet

Back to Toll Group page